Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Why Do You Want To Sell?

Why? This is the philosophy angle of selling. This is the bed rock to what you do. 

Are you wanting to make a lot of money? Are you wanting to make yourself wealthier? Better bank account? Nicer house? Nicer car? If this is the case, you want a benefits package, not a job.

The word "sell" has a variety of roots. The Old English sellan means "to give." It's Gothic root is even better: saljan, meaning "to offer a sacrifice."

This being said, why do you want to sell? Do you believe that your product or service can improve your customer's life? Do you believe you can help your customer live a happier, more productive life? These are fundamentals that I repeatedly see salesmen and women forget (Myself included sometimes... Yikes!). This article is essentially me calling us back to our "Why" factor.

Now this is in no way condemning the sale to the customer who wants to buy that 2013 Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca (Base just under $50k). If you have the means of giving the customer that luxury, go ahead. Just make sure you are totally operating in the interest of your customer while maintaining high standards of integrity.
chess Free Photo
But I believe that to be the best salesman (or woman), you have to operate in this strange bias that yes: they will love your product and service, no: they won't hate you or your product tomorrow, yes: they will want to come to buy from you again back when it is time to upgrade, etc.

That brings me to my final point: Your philosophy should begin with your legacy. If you died and your relatives went through your possessions would they be ashamed? Same is true that if you found a better opportunity and left your company, would your former managers be ashamed of your conduct; your customers of your salesmanship and integrity? Always act in the best interest of everybody. I know it seems like I'm beating a dead horse, but I see so many customers relegated to being just another transaction and so many employers becoming another paycheck-provider.

I hope this has inspired you to think through the "Why's" of your selling. Maybe you're a veteran and know all this and practice this already, Thank you. It is my observation of you veterans of sales and made-men of the field that inspire me to write this, because I want to become the best in whatever sales field I am engaged. I know that my generation (in general) sometimes makes you wonder if anybody cares about the future of our trade. Here's one "Yes." I hope this serves as a breath of fresh air. 

To you others starting out- WELCOME.

To all, as always, STAY CURIOUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment