Friday, September 12, 2014

The Power of Belief

Greetings fellow discoverers. It has been some time since I last wrote a post and for that I am sorry. It was my lack of diligence to learning and sharing discovery in this wonderful field called life. That being said, I would like to bring to light something that has been given stage multiple times but, I feel, we as mere mortals don't fully grasp, and that is the power of belief.

Lets begin with giving belief definition. According to Webster's, belief is "a feeling of being sure that someone or something exists or that something is true." Webster's also gives a more concise definitions that I think give better credence to the word "belief." This definition states that belief  is "a state or habit of mind in which trust or confidence is placed in some person or thing" [Emphasis added].

What do you believe. No. Not say you believe, but truly believe. What is your habit of mind

Today in one of my classes I was asked a question that struck me because, when asked, I laughed. It was a laughter of discredit. Now I have said before that I want this in life or that in life, but when I was asked if I thought that such event would occur, I only laughed in disbelief. The fact is, while I said I wanted such events to take place in my life, at my core, I didn't believe such events were possible to unfold. When presented with the opportunity to answer honestly, I did answer honestly, and realized that my belief was setting me up for failure.

This, I believe, is the majority of society. We talk about the next greatest innovation, the next great trends, building projects and developments, gaining the big client, and more. We think of great goals in our head, but our habit of mind conflicts with such goals. This is why, as a whole society and as individuals, we must make clearly stated goals. By clearly stated, I mean written and rehearsed. If we aren't writing our goals, we aren't making declarations against old habits. If we aren't rehearsing goals, we are not allowing the goals to win in our mind.

Its like setting your goals in a boxing match. In one corner, you have human-tainted belief. He is lazy, selfish, and pitiful. He would rather win and have you do nothing because humans are naturally inert. In the other corner, you have goals, clear, concise, etc. His interest is winning and making your situations and others around you better. The bell sounds. This is where justification is important. Why should you act this way or that? Justification is your strategy and focus. It draws attention to the issue. It should counter and dominate the old beliefs. The third part to winning over these old beliefs is will. This is the "Make yourself." Will acts on your justifications, delivering blow after blow to your old beliefs.

It boils down to this: If you don't have goals, you have nothing to rival your old, failing belief systems. If you can't justify your goals, you have no focus on the opposing beliefs. If you don't implement your will, and make yourself, your goals only remain wishful thinking. Oppose your habit of mind, Justify success, and win. 

Don't remain in a wishy-washy state of "If only" and "I'd like to." Believe that there is more to be had in life, and believe it more than more is not for you. Set goals and set out to destroy those core beliefs that cause you to fail again and again. And realize, sometimes you will have to fight old beliefs for the full 15 rounds of your life and it will come down to a decision of whether you fought better, and other times it will be TKO for the old beliefs and you will be the undisputed victor. Fight. Win. Stay Curious.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment